GY. Chaitin on the Ubiquity of Undecidability

Greg Chaitin, author most recently of MetaMath!,  discusses the ubiquity of undecidability: incredibly all kinds of mathematical and physical systems exhibit utterly unpredictable, baffling behavior– and it’s possible to prove we can never fully understand why!

1. Joseph said,

July 24, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I just want to say that I appreciated this interview immensely. I must have listened to it five times, trying to really wrap my brain around this. Thanks!

2. strauss said,

July 25, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Thanks! As you can tell, I am very enthusiastic about this topic– it is really one of the most central issues in contemporary science and mathematics.

Some good things to check out:

Of course, the previous week’s interview with Stephen Wolfram.

Metamath! by Chaitin

The absolutely unique and charming, Pulitzer prize-winning Gödel-Escher-Bach

Also check out this article I’ve pitched a few times, filtering all this through puzzles and games, ultimately touching on the very nature of mathematical inquiry.

Someday, John Conway’s baby-level “My First Abstract Computability Book” will come out, explaining the basic constructions in a truly elementary way.

3. Chris Daniel said,

January 18, 2011 at 6:25 am

Excellent podcast. Thanks a lot.

4. Mark A. Huebner said,

March 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Thank you for your wonderful podcast.  So many interesting math concepts were presented to me in school and you are slowly pointing the way to search out all their mysteries!  I had thought about Goedel previously and this talk expands on his perspective from the mathematics field.  Also the comments about Liebnitz and his thoughts on the mathematical requirements for a good scientific theory.  The G4G9 podcast opened the door to a new world of interesting activities.  Thank you!

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URL