Update: The Math Factor Podcast

The Math Factor podcast is taking a rest for a while — we’ll be back with new podcasts at some point (probably, we think) so check back every once in a while!

In the meantime, from time to time the Math Factor crew will still be posting here, on our traditional highly irregular schedule.

I’m really proud of the bookends to the pieces so far: Cantor’s Theorem, in the segments leading up through AH. QED and now the discussion of undecidability in the last two podcasts. Along the way, we’ve managed to get in quite a bit of sophisticated stuff — not bad for local radio! 

I’ve really enjoyed all the conversations the Math Factor has initiated, between me and Kyle, with mathematicians and those using mathematics to do really interesting stuff, with book authors, and especially all those who have written in — and even become active collaborators! (Hi Jeff and Stephen) The tremendously supportive feedback we’ve gotten really means a lot.

I think it’s time, though, to take an extended break from the podcast. Kyle is now incredibly busy producing five hours of original magazine format radio journalism a week. He’s always been a dynamo, but lately the man’s a blur! And much of my energy has been directed elsewhere too (check out math2033.uark.edu!) I’ve started a couple of books that I hope you’ll check out when the time comes, and in the meantime, please read my articles Can’t Decide? Undecide! and another on tilings and computation.

I’ll be hanging out in Marseille, Mexico City and Oaxaca in June, with a lot of neat people, so might get all inspired to make some new posts soon, but on the whole, I feel like I’ve said what I needed to say for a while. The Theory of Computation is really an astounding and important perspective, and I’m delighted to have helped spread the word a bit more. It’s a great resting spot!

3 Comments »

1. Sean said,

May 10, 2010 at 9:11 am

I hope that you do come back again, but in case you don’t I just wanted to say thanks for all the great episodes over the years.  I have always enjoyed them.

2. Stephen Morris said,

May 10, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for all the great work.  There’s quite a back-catalogue of great stuff, this maybe a good opportunity to listen through it again, should keep me busy.  Looking forward to the books.

I’ve got a couple of things to post on the website.  I’m spending a lot of time discussing different voting methods at the moment, very relevant in Britain right now, most be a puzzle there surely.  Just a soon as this cricket tournament is over.

3. Leif said,

May 19, 2010 at 1:10 am

Mathfactor has been a regular part of my commute for several years, and I’ve enjoyed every podcast, giving me interesting things to think about on the way to and from work. Thank you. There’s really no competition to this podcast. I hope your hiatus gives you fresh inspiration to resume the podcast!

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URL